9/19/09

TANDOORI CHICKEN WITH SWEET & SPICY STIR FRY ALA MARWA


I recently bought a bunch of spices of Penzey's, and decided to screw around with some of them to get a feel for the flavors. After watching House of Flying Daggers last night, I had intense craving for Chinese food, and yes, I realize tandoori has nothing to do with China. I was feeling hungry, not intellectual.
Servings: 4 (or 3 starving college students)

1 cup brown rice
1 white onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
2 cups frozen corn
2 carrots
2 chicken breasts
Chinese Five Spice
Tandoori Spice
Soy Sauce
Bangkok Padang Peanut Sauce
Sriracha

Brown rice takes a long time to cook, nearly 50-60 minutes. I got it going, then went to the store to buy the yogurt, because I had no clue how to make tandoori until after I started the rice. When the brown rice was done, I drizzled a small amount of peanut sauce over the rice for a tiny bit of spice and a nice jasmine/peanut aroma, and then dashed some soy sauce in to keep it moist while everything else was cooking.


I threw the chicken breasts into boiling water, and diced up the vegetables


I turned the heat off of the vegetables and let them sit on the burner. To make the tandoori, take 1 cup of yogurt and add tandoori spice. I used 3 teaspoons, and that made a good flavorful mixture. If I had wanted to make it a spicy tandoori, I would have bumped it up to 4 teaspoons and added ground chili peppers.
the chicken is done, shred it all up. I use two forks and that seems to work well. Add the chicken to the tandoori mixture and toss thoroughly. About this time, I cooked the corn.

With a frying pan on medium, I scooped the chicken in and poured as much on top as I could get out. Then I cranked the heat up to high.

While that was boiling happily away, I added the rice and corn to the vegetables and squirted a healthy serving of sriracha over the whole concoction. The camera decided to do a flyby!
I let the tandoori liquids reduce down for a few minutes before serving, piping hot.

Tandoori Chicken with Sweet & Spicy Stir Fry is not the prettiest coloring of a meal, but it was tasty! The tandoori was smooth and meaty. The stir fry was sweet at first, then had quick soy flavoring and then WHAM spicy that sticks to the back of your throat! I dipped the chicken in sriracha,

I love meals like this because it's pretty healthy for heart-conscious people like myself. I use very little soy sauce and no salt, so the sodium is pretty low. The yogurt I made the tandoori with was non-fat, and I don't even put a lot of vegetable oil in. Brown rice is great for you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your time and reaction!!!