Cheese- I recommend something fairly flavorless- either get special cheese at the halal stores some here use mozarella (without salt is probably best)- As much as you want.
Shredded Filo dough(probably one package is good)
2 sticks butter
1.5 cups sugar
¾ cup water
1 tsp. rose water
1 tsp. lemon juice
1. Melt butter
2. Rip Filo pastry into slightly smaller chunks
3. Pour melted butter over Filo pastry- mix thoroughly
4. Butter baking dish.
5. Crumble cheese into pan
6. Put Filo on top of cheese
7. Put pan in oven at 425 until cheese is melted and Filo is golden brown.
1. Mix sugar and water
2. Cook until syrupy.
3. Add rose water and/or lemon juice
4. Cook a tad longer.
5. Pour over cooked kunaafa (individually or on the same thing)
- You can put pistachios over the kunaafa as well.
- To keep it warm, you can put the pan over a pot of simmering water. This works best if you make it in a metal pan, since it will conduct the heat better.
- A visual presentation(with some variations- crème instead of cheese, sandwiched style) can be found at:
- The sugar syrup proportions are kind of made up. Just see what works.
added by Marwa El Odessi